Where would I take my rolling carry on luggage, if money were no object?

Phewee! It’s been hot, and I have been doing some pretty serious research on the great selection of new luggage that’s out there. Rolling, lightweight, carry-on luggage. Now I want to go somewhere.
Where do I want to go, you ask? Well, if money were no object, I’d like to go to Asia – more specifically, China and the Great Wall. If money were no object and I actually could travel to China, I must admit to certain reservations. I see myself staying in hotels and touring in organized groups. I confess, the Chinese Food I like is a bit of a ‘hybrid’ already, somewhat americanized. I have a squeamish stomach. I greatly admire people who can go anywhere in the world and quite gregariously adjust to new surroundings and new foods.
I, unfortunately, can do that only in specific parts of the world. Take me to Italy, and I’ll eat and drink anything, anywhere.
Nevertheless, just in case you also like a somewhat ‘hybrid’ version of Chinese food, I’d like to share my favorite recipe for Sweet and Spicy Cashew Chicken, which is to be served with rice, of course, and the Mandarin Salad. Recipe also below.

Sweet and spicy cashew chicken:


Sauce: ½ cup ketchup
4 tsp soya sauce
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp worcester sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ cube chicken broth in 1 cp of boiling water - mix together.

Cut 3 whole chicken breasts into ¾ inch cubes
Coat cubed chicken in a ziplock bag filled with
2 tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
Stir fry the coated chicken in ¼ cup of oil.
Add in order:
2 to 3 tbsp of minced fresh ginger root
½ tbsp of minced garlic
1 small onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers (cut into small pieces)
2 carrots (sliced diagonally)
2 cups of fresh snowpeas
1 to 1 ½ cps of cashew nuts
Add sauce.

Serve with rice.

Mandarin salad:

Dressing: 1/3 cup of oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp dry mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed

1 head of leaf lettuce
½ cp sunflower seeds
½ cp of slivered almonds
2 green onions, chopped
1 can mandarin oranges
optional: 1 avocado

brown sunflower seeds and almonds in some butter, mix with onions, lettuce, mandarin oranges and avocado and toss in dressing just before serving.

I know you will very much enjoy this dish. Meanwhile I will dream of The Great Wall of China. I see myself on the Wall with a cute little backpack, but back at the hotel I’m toting one of Rick Steves Carry-On cases, or perhaps the Eagle Creek Tarmac 20 Carry-On bag. Let’s dream together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More wished for products in travel accessories